Department: Facilities & Sustainability
Reports To: Director of Facilities & Sustainability
Classification: Part-time (25 hours per week); Mon – Fri, 9am – 2pm
FSLA Status: Non-Exempt
Prepared Date: August 2019
The Receptionist/Administrative Support person sits at the front desk at VPR’s Colchester headquarters to greet guests, implement security protocols and perform reception duties. This role also answers the general phone line and directs incoming calls. This position is responsible for sorting and distributing mail and preparing mailed-in donation checks for deposit. The role also provides general administrative support to the Leadership Team. Like other positions at VPR, there will likely be “other duties as assigned,” particularly within the scope of administrative support activities. There may be a need to adjust the work schedule based on the needs of the organization. The Receptionist/Administrative Support role reports to Director of Facilities & Sustainability.
- Greet Colchester guests; help enforce VPR’s security protocols
- Sort and distribute mail
- Open designated mail, prepare checks received for deposit
- Support Leadership Team
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
|Greet guests at the Colchester office; ensures they sign in and are escorted by a staff member. Helps enforce VPR’s security protocols.||Guests and callers feel welcome and valued. Ensures security measures regarding guests on site are observed. Coordinates and trains Volunteers based on their availability to ensure appropriate coverage at the front desk.|
|Daily mail||Daily mail is sorted to staff mailboxes.|
|Open and prepare mailed-in checks for deposit||Deposits are prepared on time and accurately.|
|Support Leadership Team with events, meeting preparations, arranging for catering and related room set-up.||Administrative activities supporting the Leadership Team are carried out in a timely manner with effectiveness and efficiency. Administrative needs are anticipated and proactively prepared in coordination with the team members through frequent and dynamic communication.|
|Collaborates across departments to complete occasional projects, activities and assignments.||Special projects and less frequent assignments are incorporated into regular workflow as departmental priorities require. Such activities may include filing, booking travel, preparing HR packets, and other tasks as needed.|
EXCELLENCE IN THIS ORGANIZATION includes the following:
- A high level of commitment and dedication to the mission of VPR and public radio.
- Preserving confidentiality appropriately.
- Serving as an excellent ambassador for VPR, both formally and informally. Helping listeners, potential listeners, donors and potential donors connect with VPR.
- Facilitating respectful communications across departments, among employees, and with the public. Fostering open and candid relationships with VPR listeners and donors. Managing conflict constructively.
- Demonstrating a commitment to the continuous improvement of VPR’s ability to fulfill its mission and vision. Demonstrating and encouraging creativity and enthusiasm for this work.
- Expressing consistent, high performance expectations for themselves, their department, VPR’s leadership and VPR.
- Developing a broad understanding of all of VPR’s departments, programs and services sufficient to assist donors, collaborate effectively with peers, ensure excellent communication and teamwork among departments.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
Education and Experience: High school degree or GED.
Essential Skills: Excellent communications (verbal and written in English) skills, warm and welcoming interpersonal skills, strong organizational skills required. Positive attitude and ability to diffuse contentious interactions. Knowledge, understanding, and enthusiasm for public radio and VPR preferred. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and independently, with focus and attention to detail in an open office environment. Demonstrated ability to exhibit teamwork and adaptability. Has strong computer skills including but not limited to Microsoft Office, Google Drive.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee must regularly talk, hear, and sit or stand facing a computer using a keyboard for extended periods, use hands to feel and hold, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus. The work environment is an open environment office and noise levels vary. (The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
Please note: This is not an all-encompassing statement of this position’s responsibilities. While it attempts to be comprehensive, new responsibilities may be assigned to this position at any time.