WPTZ/NBC5 currently has job openings for the following positions: Production Assistant, News Producer and Assistant Chief Engineer. Read on for details.
NBC5/WPTZ, a Hearst Television station in the Burlington/Plattsburgh market, has an opening for a part time Production Assistant. We are looking for an energetic team player who understands the flexible schedule that the broadcast industry requires to join our production crew. This person will be responsible for operating cameras, teleprompter, and video equipment; as related to live broadcasts and post-production. Must have good technical skills, and good communication skills. Responsibilities include floor directing, assisting the news department, and other duties as assigned.
- Operation of cameras, prompters, sets and other production equipment.
- Lighting and script preparation for newscasts.
- Video cueing during newscasts.
- Maintain professional appearance of studio/sets.
- Assist the directors as needed.
- Working knowledge of television newscast equipment and software required.
- Videography experience helpful.
- Related military experience will be considered.
- Current local Broadcast Journalism/Communications and/or TV/Video Production students encouraged to apply.
- Must have a good attitude, be willing to learn, and be a team player.
- Must be able to problem solve quickly and work well under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Attention to detail a must.
- Understanding of Grass Valley Automation is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications preferred. Current local students encouraged to apply. Equivalent military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) and associated experience will be considered.
Vacancy Type: Part Time
Date Posted: 5/22/2020
Closing Date: 6/21/2020
Apply at https://hearst.referrals.selectminds.com/television/jobs/production-assistant-8502
WPTZ NBC5, the Hearst-owned NBC affiliate in the Burlington, VT/Plattsburgh, NY market has an opening for a Newscast Producer. We’re looking for a story teller who thrives on breaking news, and the urgency of a fast-paced, dynamic newscast. Our next producer will join a team of award-winning journalists committed to dynamic local news coverage. We want a producer who demonstrates solid news judgement, and who has an eye for using video, graphics, and studio features to effectively convey information. We approach everything as a team at WPTZ. We expect you to come in with an open mind, ready to learn and ready to lend a hand to other members of the team when needed.
During work hours, you’ll be in our brand new, state-of-the-art facility. In off hours, you’ll be surrounded by some of the best ski areas in the country, scenic mountains, and some of the most beautiful waterways in the country.
- Selecting, and writing material for a daily newscast.
- Building graphics and shaping how a story is presented for a live newscast.
- Working with reporters and helping them shape their daily reports.
- Possess an ability to communicate clearly and quickly to effectively give direction, and to explain your vision of a newscast to anchors, reporters, and directors.
- Selecting, researching and writing content for live newscasts to make the newscast an “experience” for viewers
- Communicating, coordinating and executing creative vision with team of anchors, reporters, meteorologists, photographers, editors, and production staff.
- Our producers are required to edit video and contribute to our digital platforms.
- Creative presentation style.
- Experience in a newsroom, the ability to remain calm under pressure and knowledge of ENPS are pluses.
- Military experience in a related occupation specialty will be considered.
- Excellent writing, spelling, grammar and copy-editing skills.
- Ability to multi-task and coordinate several crews and responsibilities simultaneously.
- An ability to summarize information into easy-to-understand components.
- Creative presentation style, and ability to showcase all resources and elements.
- Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards.
- Must be available to work holidays, shifts that include nights, weekends and overnights, and flexible with schedule to be available during breaking news.
- College degree in broadcast journalism, broadcast news, or related field preferred.
- Military training from Defense Information School (DINFOS) with associated producing experience will be considered.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 5/13/2020
Closing Date: 6/12/2020
Apply at https://hearst.referrals.selectminds.com/television/jobs/news-producer-8481
Assistant Chief Engineer
WPTZ-TV, the NBC affiliate in the Burlington, VT/Plattsburgh, NY market, has an opening for an Assistant Chief Engineer. The ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to organize, plan, manage, document and execute assignments within a demanding live broadcast environment. This person is responsible for the equipment that provides the content of our broadcast on-air program streams. Candidate will be responsible for monitoring multiple air channels, maintaining regulatory compliance, and assuring quality control of on air product. This position involves supervisory roles.
What you get in return is the chance to become part of HEARST Television, one of the premier broadcast companies in the country. You’ll also have the opportunity to live and work in one of the most scenic parts of the Northeast.
- Directly manage and oversee broadcast operations engineers, which include Master Control Operators, and other technical staff.
- Effectively manage and motivate the department personnel to attain maximum focus to ensure smooth and efficient operations to produce the highest level of quality to the viewer.
- Deploy and train personnel in new and existing equipment/technology/procedures including the station’s broadcast automation system, live newscast production, and digital workflows.
- Exhibit a good working knowledge of television maintenance and IT systems, as well as FCC requirements and licensing.
- Document and maintain engineering and operational policies and procedures.
- Ability to adapt to multiple priorities and follow through until successful resolution.
- Requires excellent judgment and ability to effectively handle complex issues under pressure or during emergency situations.
- 5 years of experience in Television Broadcast Operations/Maintenance
- 3 years of managerial or supervisory experience
- Computer literacy is mandatory.
- Attention to details is imperative.
- SBE certification a plus.
- Lifting 50 pounds, climbing ladders and other physical activity associated with equipment installation.
- Must have a current driver’s license.
- Operational knowledge and experience with functions.
- Knowledge of VizRT graphics a plus.
- Ability to learn specialized software applications.
- Aptitude for operating electronic equipment for broadcast and production requirements.
- College Degree or related military training
- SBE certifications are preferred