WCAX Currently has the following job openings: Assistant Chief Engineer, Multimedia Journalist. Read on for details about all open positions:
About WCAX: WCAX is one of the strongest CBS Affiliates in the entire country. We paved the way for TV in the Burlington-Plattsburgh region and now we help local businesses grow nationwide! We are a team of innovative marketers! If you are the person who will help this robust community connect with an audience of more than 750,000 customers, then you need to send your resume to us right now. Take this opportunity to build your career in a place where people come from all over the world to enjoy.
About Gray Television: Gray Television is a leading media company that owns and operates high-quality stations in 113 television markets that collectively reach 36 percent of US television households. We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
Additional Info: Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge. As a condition of employment, Gray Television will require that newly hired employees, whether part-time or full-time, be fully vaccinated against the coronavirus by the first workday to the extent permitted by applicable law unless you qualify for a medical or religious accommodation.
Assistant Chief Engineer
WCAX TV CBS / WYCI TV MyNetwork TV serving the beautiful Burlington, VT-Plattsburgh, NY, market is seeking an Assistant Chief Engineer in a full-time position. This position requires a full knowledge of station operations and its technical layout, with a strong emphasis on engineering as it relates to modern broadcast TV businesses now and into the future. Candidates must possess good interpersonal communications skills, both oral and written, and be fully computer literate. Comprehensive knowledge of RF signals, transmission mechanics, mechanical engineering, and studio technical equipment operation is a necessity. Duties include troubleshooting, maintaining, and installing broadcast and IT equipment including transmitter equipment located at our remote sites throughout the service area.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Addressing engineering aspects of the technical facility including studio support, post editing systems, field production support and transmission of live/taped events & programs.
- Have expert knowledge regarding equipment, technology, and systems including RF, microwave and transmission systems.
- Perform regular maintenance tasks including equipment replacement, ordering tools & supplies, etc.
- Assist the Chief Engineer in overseeing and implementing Engineering projects.
- Work closely with the station’s General Manager and corporate leadership to implement new technologies and technical infrastructure for the business as a whole.
- Ensure all transmission equipment is operating correctly before and during live event telecasts.
- Correct and document technical problems and report them to Chief Engineer or applicable station management.
- Assist in maintaining station vehicles, including live microwave/satellite vehicles.
- Help to ensure that buildings & grounds maintenance is being done as needed.
- Availability to work during breaking news situations, severe weather, new system integrations and updates, and provide on-call services outside of regularly scheduled shifts when needed.
- Work with 3rd party technical support teams, vendors and other outside businesses as needed.
- Help to maintain complete and accurate plant documentation
- Assist with the training of other members of the Engineering Department and the station in general.
- Display and maintain appropriate dress for the workplace and duties assigned.
- Clean driving record and valid driver’s license.
- Background / previous working experience in TV Broadcast Engineering.
- Competent knowledge of broadcast signal flow with the ability to quickly identify key points of failure and bypass faults with minimal system down time.
- Experience working with high power Radio Frequency systems, including Microwave, SATCOM, Earth Stations, VHF/UHF Transmitters.
- Working knowledge of the latest operating systems software, including server and desktop operating systems
- This position is NOT considered to be work-from-home but rather will require being on-site, either at the station or one of its remote sites to perform most daily duties. The ability to remote-in from another location would be beneficial at times.
- Ability to adapt to flexible work hours including possibly some holiday work hours from time to time based on the technical needs of the station.
- Familiarity with networking, routing and IP addressing.
- Able to work alone or in a small teams at times.
- Ability to travel in inclement weather conditions, including rain and snow, with ability to travel via vehicle, snowmobile/ATV or ski lift/snowshoe to remote locations including our primary transmission site on the summit of Mt. Mansfield.
- Bachelors or better in Engineering or related field preferred.
Apply at https://gray.tv/careers#currentopening. Type in the job title, station call letters, or click on “apply now”, upload your resume, cover letter and references.
WCAX-TV has an immediate opening for a multi-media journalist to work for the number one station in the market. We are seeking a dynamic candidate who is passionate about reporting and storytelling.
The primary job duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop, write, produce and present news stories daily live on television and for web and social media
- Establish contacts and sources in the communities we serve
- Participate in editorial meetings and contribute fresh ideas for newscasts
- Cover daily and breaking news as assigned
- Engage viewers through social media channels
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to develop contacts.
- Ability to react quickly and aggressively to breaking news.
- Strong news judgment, excellent journalistic instincts and a critical eye for details.
- Ability to multi-task efficiently and handle high-pressure situations on a consistent basis.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to contribute within a strong team environment.
- Strong computer skills for research and contributions to digital platforms.
- Familiarity with latest social media trends and products.
- Ability to shoot and edit video.
- Willingness to work long hours and overtime when necessary.
Apply at https://recruiting.ultipro.com/GRA1017GRYT/JobBoard/ae441110-89bd-444d-8ad2-b76c7b9db7a9/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=fb251c27-4a54-4d17-9d87-cc065728538c and be sure to include a link to your professional reel.