The VAB is partnering with other state broadcasters associations to bring local journalists four insightful webinars led by Al Tompkins of the Poynter Institute:
Watch Powerful Storytelling (Part 1) from October 21st
Thursday, November 4th at 12:00PM Eastern
Powerful Storytelling (Part 2)
Register at https://michiganassociationofbroadcasters.growthzoneapp.com/ap/Events/Register/nLv2X3JL?mode=Attendee
- The eight motivators that make any story more interesting
- Getting beyond the obvious to the more important “why” of the story
- The power of the Ladder of Abstraction (how to make interesting stories important and important stories interesting)
- Sentence structure that makes information unforgettable
- Navigating the friction between creative storytelling and clear storytelling
December 8th at 12:00PM Eastern
Register at https://michiganassociationofbroadcasters.growthzoneapp.com/ap/Events/Register/vrARy2Op?mode=Attendee
- Where do our biases come from?
- How do we recognize our own biases?
- Eight kinds of biases that can influence our journalism (these don’t make you a bad person, they mean you are normal)
- How biases influence who is in and out of our coverage
- How you can find new voices that will give you new insights, even on deadline
- How biases even show up in our Google searches
- The MOST likely place your biases might show up in a carefully crafted story
January 4th at 12:00PM Eastern
Fighting Fakes and Truth Decay
Register at https://michiganassociationofbroadcasters.growthzoneapp.com/ap/Events/Register/gLWBM7AP?mode=Attendee
- Where does information come from and who is behind it?
- Why do people spread disinformation?
- How can you detect fake photos?
- What is metadata and what will it tell you?
- What does every journalist need to understand about algorithms?
- See the newest tools fakers use to alter video and audio.
- How to use polysearch tools to get to the root of an images’ origin