Thanks to our members participation in the NCSA program, the VAB has endowed scholarships at four colleges plus VSAC and provides over $42,000 annually in scholarship awards to dozens of deserving students working towards a college degree.
Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC):
In an effort to try to help employees of Vermont radio and television stations, the VAB established a scholarship through VSAC. If you work for a Vermont station and you have a direct family member planning to attend or already attending college, apply for the VAB scholarship through VSAC
- Up to $1,250 awarded annually to one recipient chosen by VSAC.
- To be eligible, you must be a direct family member of an employee of a Vermont radio or television station.
- Student can be attending any accredited institution of higher learning.
- Student must be enrolled full time in any degree program.
Applications for the 2023-2024 year are due February 15, 2023.
Open to full-time declared Communication majors with interest in broadcasting. Must have completed two years of study, have a minimum 3.0 GPA and financial need as determined by the Financial Aid Office.
- Up to $8,000 awarded annually to one or two recipients chosen by Castleton.
For returning students, applications for scholarships to be awarded for the 2020-2021 year are accepted from January 11, 2020-March 8, 2020. Click here for details
Open to outstanding full-time students majoring in Broadcast Media Production. Students are chosen by a faculty committee and are awarded based on a minimum grade point average of 3.0, a written response to the application, and the quality of their work.
- Up to $1,500 awarded annually to five recipients chosen by faculty members from the Division of Communication & Creative Media.
- Generally applied toward the following year’s tuition, but a limited number of awards are available to support students’ broadcast-related academic and professional activities in the Fall and Spring semesters.
New England School of Communication at Husson University:
Open to full-time students majoring in television or radio broadcasting from New England. Awarded automatically as part of aid package if student is deemed eligible.
- Up to $3,000 awarded annually to one to four recipients each year.
- Preference given to Vermonters
Northern Vermont University – Lyndon:
Open to students enrolled full time in NVU-Lyndon’s Broadcast and Digital Journalism degree program and/or students working on a B.S. in atmospheric sciences/meteorology with a concentration in broadcasting.
- Up to $1,000 awarded annually to up to 15 Juniors or Seniors and up to 8 first year students.
- Students cannot apply for these scholarships. Each Spring, the Broadcast and Digital Journalism faculty meet to discuss who should be awards VAB scholarships. Decisions are based on:
- Students who show great promise in the JOU/ATM program and whom the faculty feel will go onto a successful career in the industry
- Student’s energy/enthusiasm for the broadcast industry
- Whether they are a Vermonter or from New England is also considered
- Current recipients are re-considered, so a student could receive the scholarship multiple years in a row.